2009/12/19

Time to scarf!

Best Friend's Birthday Scarf


In the end of December is my very best friend's 2-something birthday. She is really important to me, so every year, I try to make something special for her. But there are some traditions.
Though we don't see each other that often, I will always remember her as a person who's addicted to the colour violet :)
Last year I made a tiny bag thingy for her beauty products big enough for everything you need for a long night out, and small enough to fit in a lady's handbag.

This year (as I'm totally fixed on those beautiful yarns ParaNoire spins) I knitted a scarf for her.
ParaNoire made a bunch of lilac/violet/black yarn for me, mostly cotton, so it feels really good on your skin, and then I started.
See her Blogentry for detailed pics of the wonderful colour- and fabric-changing yarn!

Knitting with normal knitting needles doesn't really look good (my opinion). So I tried another concept: (Don't laugh!) I used one knitting needle, and my fingers.

Sounds weird? It is, at least if you try it first.
I didn't need more than 10 stitches (loops?), because they are reeeeally big. Instead of the right knitting needle (the one you knit with) I did use my index finger and the middle finger. When I was done with one row, I put the loops back on the needle: turn around, same story all over again.

Really simple, and I love the look.
Since I think that the yarn is special enough (It has little beads in it... so great!), I didn't use any extraordinary knitting techniques but knitted just a really simple plain scarf. Any complicated pattern would have been too much :)

I put it on for a try-out shopping day, and it's perfect. Although the loops are very big, it's really warm, doesn't itch and looks great to a black coat.

You can wear it "normal", just dangling cool round your neck:



I like the way it somehow "shrinks" together, but if you want to, you can wear it like this too (look how big the loops are!) I actually really like that the ends of the fabric scraps were somehow a bit loose in this yarn, they look a bit like ribbons added on purpose to the scarf :)



Or you can give it a little spin and wear it like this:



Something funny: My boyfriend didn't really grasp the concept of "wait till I'm ready, then take the pics..."

3 Kommentare:

  1. Uhh,

    so wundervoll! Ich liebe, wie die Farbverläufe durch das Stricken richtig rauskommen! Da hast du echt was tolles gezaubert! Bin froh, dass ich ein Teil davon sein konnte :3

    Gott, das sieht so toll aus!! Deine Freundin ist echt zu beneiden :3 *wildrumflatter*

    LG,
    Eva

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Oh, this is really nice!!! I don´t really like ParaNoir´s yarn, I think it´s a little bit too... chaotic? but in this way it looks absolutely great. And you are so beautyful!! Violett is also a color for you :)
    Greets from Bavaria,
    Snowlady who really needs to practise her Englisch ;-)

    AntwortenLöschen